The council body, in addition to electing officers, elects the “council executive board.” From a practical standpoint, the council executive board is the governing body of the council, empowered by the council body to act in its stead.
Among its responsibilities are the following:
- Exercises all powers of the council body between meetings of the council. This does not include authority to change or amend the articles of incorporation.
- Approves the program and plans of incorporation.
- Selects and employs a Scout executive.
- Establishes a budget and raises funds adequate to achieve the objectives of Scouting.
- Fills interim vacancies in offices and positions ordinarily subject to election by the council body.
- Coordinates the work of the districts.
- Approves the district commissioners on recommendations of district nominating committees with the concurrence of the Scout executive.
- Approves plans of council committees.